Ipe Wood Deck Tiles
Styles & Specifications
Ipe wood deck tiles are ideal for the most demanding, fully exposed exterior situations including roof decks and patios, and can cope with snow, ice and the blazing sun, although we do recommend that they are coated with a good quality decking oil at appropriate intervals to maintain their initial attractive appearance as long as possible.
- Botanical name – Tabebuia sp.
- Reddish brown color, but can vary from olive brown to blackish, often with lighter or darker striping
- Exceptionally hard and dense (Janka 3680)
- Eight times harder than Californian Redwood
- Highly resistant to termites, decay and mold (rated Class 1 - extremely durable)
- 3-5 times the life time of most other decking materials (25+ year lifetime)
- Resistant to fire (rated Class A by NFPA)
- Weathers to a soft silvery grey, remaining smooth and splinter free
- Classic style with four parallel slats
- Can be laid either in basketweave or parallel pattern
- Combine with Sierra or Double-C styles for additional design options
- Ideal for borders, centerpieces or feature areas
- Can be laid in either direction
- Can be combined with Colorado or Double-C style
- Ideal for larger patios, roof decks and commercial areas
- Build 24" x 24" modules by placing two tiles side by side
- Can be combined with Colorado or Sierra styles
Clip on Edge Pieces
- Clip to the edge of the outer row of tiles
- Provides a sloping transition to the sub surface
- Hides the side view of the plastic base
- Gap under front lip ensures water drains away freely
- Symmetrical design enables easy installation and removal
- UV stabilized polyethylene
- In-built interlocking tabs on all 4 sides
- Stainless steel screws attach base to wood slats
- Engineered to support over one ton of weight
- Workable temperature range: -100°F to 200°F (-73°C to 93°C)
How to Install SwiftDeck Ipe Wood Deck Tiles
To install SwiftDeck Ipe wood deck tiles, you just need a tape measure, sharp knife and Phillips head screwdriver. If you need to cut the tiles to fit around pipes, posts or other fixed features you’ll also need a handsaw or power saw to cut the tiles. Everything you need for quick and easy installation is included in each box of SwiftDeck tiles.
Just follow these basic steps:
Step 1 – Design your deck
It’s a good idea to sketch your proposed design on paper before you start. You can easily create unique patterns, designs and borders by aligning the tiles in different directions or by using a combination of different tile styles. And remember, if you don’t like the first design you’ve put down, you can simply lift up the tiles and re-install them in a different pattern. You might find it helpful to use our Visualizer to check the difference in appearance between basketweave or parallel designs for example.
Step 2 - Prepare the surface
Although SwiftDeck Ipe wood deck tiles can be laid over most hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt, gravel, hard dirt), there should be no large cracks, bumps or depressions which could cause the tiles to lie unevenly or “rock” on the surface. If the surface is particularly rough or cracked, it’s advisable to level the surface with a suitable exterior patching compound or filler. On hard dirt surfaces, sand or gravel, the surface should firstly be leveled, well compacted and then covered with a weed control barrier. To provide good drainage under the tiles, the surface should normally slope slightly away from the outer wall of any structures.
Step 3 – Click the tiles in place
In most cases it’s best to start laying the tiles from one of the outer corners of the area you want to cover and work inwards towards the exterior wall. After you have positioned the first tile in the corner of your workspace, take a second tile and align the connecting tabs on one edge of the first tile with the corresponding connecting tabs on the second tile. Push the second tile down firmly so that both tiles lock firmly together. Repeat this simple "snap in place" process, working in a diagonal direction across the area.
Step 4 – Finishing touches
With the last row of tiles, you may need to cut some tiles to fit any remaining gap. SwiftDeck Ipe wood tiles can be easily cut with a handsaw, jigsaw or other power saw, taking care the saw does not contact any of the screws in the base of the tile. You can also cut the tiles to fit around posts or pipes.
To provide a neat, professional finish to your design, straight edging is available which clips onto the edge of the outer row of tile. Mitered corner edging is available (in pairs) for external corners.
Step 5 – Caring for your deck
Although our Ipe wood tiles are coated with a decking oil at the factory, this is a very simple decking oil which is basically designed to enhance the initial appearance of the tiles.
For maximum weather protection, enhanced resistance to mildew or mold formation and to reduce the rate at which the tiles will naturally fade when exposed to direct sunlight, we strongly recommend applying a good quality decking oil/sealer to the deck tiles as soon as practical after installation.
Follow up applications should be carried out every 12 months or so, depending on your climatic conditions, the degree of exposure to sun and rain, and the recommendations of the decking oil/sealer manufacturer.
We strongly recommend using one of the more specialized products which include UV inhibitors and/or transparent iron oxides and have a high solids content rather than simple oil and turpentine-based products.
Whilst we haven’t tested the full range of products available, products that could be considered include:
Maintenance & Cleaning
SwiftDeck wood deck tiles are designed to provide years of enjoyment with minimal maintenance. However to help maintain the attractive appearance of your Ipe wood deck, there are few steps you can take to keep the tiles in peak condition.
- To remove loose dirt and other surface debris, brush the surface of the tiles with water and a stiff brush
- A mild detergent may be used if necessary
- Leaves or other debris falling between the gaps in the tiles can normally be removed with a vacuum cleaner
- Tiles can be hosed down, pressure washed or disassembled to clean underneath if necessary
Caring for your deck
Like any exterior wood products, SwiftDeck Ipe wood tiles will gradually fade to a silvery gray color over time. The rate at which this will occur depends largely on the degree of exposure to direct sunlight, the climatic conditions and the frequency at which any preservative treatments are applied.
Although our wood tiles are coated with a decking oil at the factory, this is a very simple decking oil which is basically designed to enhance the initial appearance.
To reduce the rate at which the tiles will naturally fade when exposed to direct sunlight and to keep the appearance of your deck at its optimum condition, we strongly recommend that the following steps should be taken:
As soon as convenient after installing the wood tiles, apply a good quality decking oil with a brush or roller. Decking oils which contains trans-oxide pigments or other proprietary UV absorbing or reflecting compounds and have a high solids content are preferred for longer term results and extended periods between applications of the decking oil/sealant. These specialized products will help maximize the durability, beauty and value of your decking tiles and assist in maintaining the original wood color as long as possible.
Products that could be considered include:
Further applications of decking oil or sealant should be undertaken at regular intervals depending on the degree of exposure of your deck to direct sunlight, local climatic conditions and the recommendations of the manufacturer of the decking oil/sealant used.
Warranty - SwiftDeck Wood Deck Tiles
All our deck tile products are designed for both indoor and outdoor installation and can be enjoyed in all types of weather. Whether you choose a SwiftDeck, EzyTile or ResiDeck product, you'll have the peace of mind in knowing that any defects in workmanship and materials are covered by our Limited Residential Warranty. So you can rest assured that you will be able to enjoy your quality product, indoors or out, year after year.
Limited Residential Warranty
We.warrant to the original residential purchaser that its products marketed and branded as "SwiftDeck" shall be free from material defects in workmanship and materials for the following period from the date of original purchase, under normal use and service conditions:
SwiftDeck Ipe deck tiles - a period of ten (10) years from the date of original purchase
SwiftDeck Teak deck tiles - a period of five (5) years from the date of original purchase
For the purposes of this warranty, a "residential purchaser" shall refer to an individual residential homeowner. If a defect appears within the warranty period, you must notify us in writing by sending a description of the claimed defect together with proof of purchase to the following address:
1807 14th Street, Level 2, NW
Washington, DC 20009
After confirmation by an authorized representative of the defect, our sole responsibility shall be, at its option, to either replace the defective item or refund that portion of the purchase price paid by you for the defective item (not including the cost of its initial installation). This warranty shall not cover and we shall not be responsible for costs and expenses incurred with respect to the removal of defective products or the installation of replacement materials, including but not limited to, labor and freight.
We do not warrant against, is not responsible for, and no implied warranty shall be deemed to cover, any product failure, product malfunction, or damages attributable to:
- Improper installation of the products and/or failure to abide by our installation guidelines, including but not limited to failure to install the tiles on a solid, flat surface or a surface that is not properly drained.
- Any cracking, breakage, or other damage occurring during or after installation.
- Use of our products in an application not recommended by our guidelines and local building codes.
- Movement, distortion, collapse or cracking of the surface or the supporting structure on which the products are installed;
- Any act of God (such as flood, hurricane, earthquake, lightning, fire, et al), environmental condition (such as air pollution,mold, mildew, et al), or staining from foreign substances (such as dirt, grease, oil, et al).
- Natural imperfections or variations in the wood or stone
- Natural weathering of the wood including but not limited to fading of the wood
- Improper handling, storage, abuse or neglect of the products.
- Ordinary wear and tear
You are solely responsible for determining the effectiveness, fitness, suitability and safety of the products in connection with its use in any particular application. No person or entity is authorized by us to make any statement or representation as to the quality or performance of our products other than as contained in this warranty and we shall not be bound by any such statements or representations. This warranty may not be altered or amended except by means of a written document signed by both ourselves and yourself.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL WE BE LIABLE OR OBLIGATED FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOST PROFITS, LOST SALES, LOSS OF GOODWILL, STOPPAGE OF WORK, OR IMPAIRMENT OF ASSETS), WHETHER FORESEEABLE OR UNFORESEEABLE, ARISING OUT OF BREACH OR FAILURE OF EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY IN TORT OR OTHERWISE, EXCEPT AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT THIS LIMITATION IS SPECIFICALLY PRECLUDED BY APPLICABLE LAW OF MANDATORY APPLICATION. OUR LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS SHALL IN NO EVENT EXCEED THE REPLACEMENT OF SUCH PRODUCTS OR REFUND OF THE PURCHASE PRICE, AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.
This warranty shall only be applicable and enforceable in the United States of America and Canada.